Friday 4 June 2021

The mountains report part V - Bluethroat

This spring has seen very few records of passage Bluethroats in the lowlands of Southern Norway and I didn’t see a single one. I was therefore wondering whether something had happened with the species but they seemed to be everywhere in the mountains so I think that conditions were just such that they were able to migrate straight to their breeding grounds without any need to have a stop over.

Up to three males sang close to each other by the cabin where we were staying and they sang from very exposed perches and flew and ran around and basically made themselves difficult to miss. Their song is also very beautiful and can at times match Thrush Nightingale in my humble opinion. They are also good mimics and one of the birds we heard did a very good impression of a Chiffchaff.

I am pretty pleased with the pictures I got 😊

male Bluethroat (blåstrupe)


this bird was on the fence of the neighbouring cabin

singing from tree tops was new for me




back lit photos are always (supposedly) a winner







No comments:

Post a Comment