Thursday 19 May 2022

First Lapwing chicks

Tomorrow I am off with Conor to Valdres for a repeat of last years trip although we are travelling a week earlier so it will be interesting to see if all hoped for birds are back. The weather forecast is not so good so we might struggle on the Saturday at least to see anything at all..

Today I had a short walk with the Beast that showed no new birds had arrived over night except for my first Icterine Warbler of the year. There was great excitement on the Lapwing field where young have hatched from the first two nests. With three birds still sitting and the presumed failed nest we have a 50% increase over last year and also much earlier hatching. Hopefully many young will fledge.

A trip to Nordre Øyeren showed there were still mud (sand) banks but it was all rather disappointing with 6 Temminck’s Stints, 4 Dunlin and 2 flyover Golden Plover headling. A particularly talented Whinchat had me thinking I had heard my first Rosefinch of the year before I frustratingly realised all the different noises were coming from one and the same bird.

Another confusion came when I thought I had found a Great White Egret at 3km range on the other side of Svellet. It was not at the waters edge but in some rough grass close to a cabin. The heat haze made it look like it was moving (see video) but after 10 minutes I had to accept that it was a plastic heron (or perhaps sun bleached flamingo?). I was very close to sending out a message on the egret but am glad I waited 😉

a single Lapwing (vipe) youngster by its mum who is still on the nest presumably waiting for the other eggs to hatch

the other female with legs sticking out of her breast! her nest was on the stubble (saved by the farmer) in the foreground



a Great White (Plastic) Egret at 3km range



No comments:

Post a Comment