Wednesday 18 May 2022

Ruff

Yesterday, 17 May, was Norway’s national day and not normally a day when I would get in anything other than incidental birding but due to having been the designated driver when we went to friends for a BBQ in the afternoon I found myself able to drive upto Maridalen just before it got dark to look for a couple of Ruff reported earlier in the day. The message did not say if they were males or females but I suspected they were going to be the later which they were but as they were only my third Maridalen sighting I was not going to complain (too much). Four Temminck’s Stints together was also very satisfying.

Today, there had been an almost complete clear out of migrant waders although rain in the afternoon got me hoping that some (or even some terns) would drop in but that wasn’t the case. Otherwise the numbers of Garden Warblers, Swifts and Spotted Flycatchers have increased noticeably.

I discovered a fourth Lapwing nest that the farmer had saved today and which I had somehow not noticed before so along with the two that have nested since the farmer ploughed that makes 6 nests although one of the saved ones was not occupied today (was occupied 2 days ago). Whether that means failure or perhaps young that have already hatched I am not sure but 6 nests is more than I can ever remember. I have never noted more than 10 birds so wonder if there is an excess of females and perhaps polygamy.

2 female Ruff (brushane) - a Maridalen rarity

with a Wood Sandpiper (grønnstilk)

2 Ruff and 2 Wood Sands



4 Temminck's Stints


2 Temminck's with 2 Mallard

a Garden Warbler (hagesanger) looking very strange!

Goosanders (laksand)

this male Little Ringed Plover (dverglo) seems to be unpaired but the pair is still present although do not look to have laid eggs yet


No comments:

Post a Comment