Sunday 11 April 2021

Long-eared Owls

I've already given a couple of hints and it is now time to tell more about a real highlight of the last few weeks: spending quality time with Long-eared Owls. I first detected their presence a couple of weeks ago when I found pellets and droppings under trees where I had previously seen the species a number of years ago. I have always checked these trees since but this was the first time I have noted their presence again. Finding the owls was more difficult though and it took a further three visits. When I did finally find the first bird I was struck by how small it seemed - far more so than I remember from my previous encounters. The bird was able to hide away behind branches very effectively and I am sure was present on all my previous visits but that I had just mentally been looking for something bigger (and easier to find). Nearby there was a pine tree which had an old crows nest at the top. It took a few visits before I saw some ears sticking out of the nest but this confirmed that the bird I was seeing was the male (small size) and that the female was on eggs.

Here are a selection of the many photos I took plus a video. I hope they convey how cool these birds are and the enjoyment they have given me. The nest can be viewed safely from a distance without disturbing the birds (access to the area around the nest has now been restricted) and hopefully these birds will keep on giving and giving as it will be great to be able to observe the adults bringing food to the nest once the nights get shorter and warmer.

I would say this is one of more successful attempts at photoshopping











they have very good camouflage 






this Yellowhammer (gulspurv) objected to the owls presence but the owl just shrugged it off

No comments:

Post a Comment