Sunday 4 April 2021

Cranes, Adder and Goldeneyes

It really is a bit slow at the moment and a lie in may have been a good idea on one of these mornings during Easter…. What has disappointed me most is that apart from Pink-footed and a few Greylag Geese there is just no viz mig going on. I have had various walks at different times of the day and a lot of sky gazing but there is just nothing moving.

New species are of course still turning up though and today Maridalen had 3 Curlews resting on the ice plus my first Cranes in the valley this year. It was very foggy in the valley this morning and I heard the Cranes before seeing them at relatively close range - will this be the first year with succesful breeding? Yesterday there were a couple of Snow Buntings in the very large Chaffinch flock which continues to hold Bramblings, Linnet and Twite.

Cranes (trane) in the mist in Maridalen



displaying Goldeneyes (kvinand) are fascinating to watch (and listen to)











my first female Adder (hoggorm) of the year was busy sunning herself


the females have a far more evil look about them than the males

goose field in Maridalen with the still frozen lake behind

Snow Bunting (snøspurv) #1

and #2 with far more noticeable brown tones in the plumage. Both birds are females from what I can see

a photogenic Roe Deer early on a frosty morning (I wouldn't have seen that if I had laid in....)



my first Curlews (storspove) of the year


No comments:

Post a Comment