Wednesday 31 May 2023

Rosefinch

 It is very hot and sunny at the moment and the fields are getting very dry in Maridalen which will be a test for the Lapwings. Yesterday I saw a brood of 4 to the west of the road where the previous day I saw just one. As I saw no others in that area I am assuming that I just missed 3 young previously although maybe they were a new brood as I thought the single youngster I saw was a bit bigger. Otherwise the two females are still sitting and I saw what was probably another female in the long grass but still do not know what has become of the other birds.

It is an above average year for Wrynecks in Maridalen with I believe 2 pairs and a single male but other Woodpeckers seem to be having a very poor year. I have only had one sighting of a pair of Three-toed and haven’t located a nest, I have just had two sightings of Green Woodpecker all year (would normally be 3-4 pairs) and know of only 1 Black Woodpecker nest. Even Great Spotted seem scarce than usual. It is still early for Red-backed Shrikes but 2 pairs is promising. Yesterday I watched one pair whilst a Wryneck sang in the background which for an English birder is a pretty unforgettable experience.

I have finally added Common Rosefinch to my year list but had to travel to Sørkedalen where a red male showed very well. It is still a but early but it is my definite impression that this year continues last years negative trend for this species. Being unfaithful to Maridalen also allowed me to hear a Cuckoo😊

A Hobby pair has now shown up in Maridalen and yesterday I saw and heard them briefly harassing a pair of nesting Hooded Crows in what I interpreted as an attempt to take over the crow’s nest.

old male Common Rosefinch (rosenfink)


Hobby (lerkefalk)


a well camoflagued (and badly photographed) Icterine Warbler (gulsanger)

pair of Red-backed Shrikes (tornskate)

and a glimpse of the Wryneck (vendehals) that was singing behind them

Jays (nøtteskrike) are now visiting marshy areas searching for emerging dragonfly larvae although there are not yet many for them to find and I did not see this one make a catch


Grizzled Skipper (bakkesmyger)

Pearl-bordered Fritillary (rødflekket perlemorvinge)

No comments:

Post a Comment