Friday 19 May 2023

Long weekend cabin stay

 We are spending a long weekend at the cabin south of Oslo where we are kucky enough to be once or twice every year and from where I can engage in sea gazing from the terrace. The view is rather limited but I do have access to fresh coffee, a toilet and warmth and shelter should I need it😊. A stay at around the same time in 2021 was very succesful and of course I hoped for a repeat this year. I awoke at 04:30 this morning to find the sea covered in fog and duly went back to sleep. Awaking again at 06:45 revealed it had lifted and I set up the scope and gazed. There was precious all moving despite southerly winds and it wasn’t until 10:45 (by which time everyone else had woken up and we had eaten breakfast) that a decent bird flew by, in the form of 3 Scaup and then at 11 a skua turned up. It turned out to be an Arctic rather than the hoped for Pomarine but any skua in these parts is worth a letter home. Here is my eBird list from the terrace this morning.


Jr and I went for a nightime drive yesterday but couldn’t turn up any Nightjars (probably still too early) although Woodcock and a Tawny Owl flying over the road were good value.



The view from the terrace at 0822 as the boat from Kiel entere the inner Oslo fjord



The houses on the other side are a good 3km away and the Arctic Skua (tyvjo) is probably half way out


Just about identifiable

The area has a healthy population of Wood Warblers (bøksanger)


Marsh Tits (løvmeis) also occur 



No comments:

Post a Comment