Thursday 22 October 2020

Bobbing Jack Snipe

After Monday’s snow I was excited to see what new birds had turned up yesterday. There was a thick layer of fog hanging over Maridalen that made viewing difficult, but it was clear that there were more birds around as I could hear and sometimes see lots of Redwings and Fieldfares in the air. A male Merlin was a real highlight and a species that I barely see annualy in Maridalen. A late Buzzard was also noteworthy as was a single Twite. There were quite a few Yellowhammers on the fields and I kept thinking I heard the “tick” of a Little Bunting but it always turned out to be a Yellowhammer. This autumn must represent the best chance of finding a Little Bunting as there have been lots of records in the country.

Moving to Fornebu the light was much better and I had intended to work the whole site. In the end I got no further than Storøykilen where I flushed a Jack Snipe and saw where it landed on the edge of a reedbed. I then spent an hour watching it in the scope. It did not do as much as I had hoped but every now again started bobbing. This is only the second time that I have observed this behaviour (and I was a teenaner the last time) and it bizarre and without any apparent purpose. It is unusual to see a Jack Snipe that is not frozen or in flight and I had really hoped to see it feeding and doing a but more than I witnessed but it was still a very exciting hour I spent with it and I managed some grainy, shaky video at full digital zoom.

Also here were two Siberian tristis Chiffchaffs that showed very well.


Jack Snipe (kvartbekkasin) - it was much easier to see in the scope, I promise

a male Merlin (dvergfalk) in Maridalen

and a late Buzzard (musvåk)

Twite (bergirisk) are scarce autumn visitors in Maridalen

a shoal of fish had attracted a flock of hungry gulls at Fornebu

and 5 Razorbills (alke) joined them, I saw in total 25 Razorbills on the sea which is a very high count and surprisingly there were no Guillemots to see

A Common Snipe (enkeltbekkasin) in Maridalen

Red Squirrel


Siberian tristis Chiffchaff at Fornebu


they do look so "rare" but have become an expected species in the late autumn at Fornebu







No comments:

Post a Comment