Monday 26 October 2020

Auks

Southerly winds brought large numbers of auks into the Inner Oslofjord over the weekend and this morning a calm sea was covered with them. From Bygdøy and Fornebu I must have seen 2-300 of which I would estimate 70% were Razorbills and 30% Guillemots. I only found a single Little Auk but this bird showed ridiculously well at just a few metres range. It was in exactly the same spot as I remember seeing my first Little Auk in Norway 19 years ago so is clearly my lucky spot for the species (I have also seen them here when it has been a wanted species for guiding clients).

When so many auks end up this far up the fjord there is always a worry that they are weak and there isn’t enough food so we will have to hope that they survive.



Little Auk (alkekonge)







it spent a lot of time preening
here I think it is rubbing its oil gland













and a Razorbill (alke)




and a Guillemot (lomvi)


Guillemot and Razorbill side by side



at distance I was getting Brunnich's vibes off this bird but it is just an adult Guillemot which is still moulting out of summer plumage so has lots of black on the face


No comments:

Post a Comment