Wednesday 5 August 2020

Birds and stuff

The weather at the moment seems to alternate between sun one day and rain the next. Sun means I can see some butterflies, dragonflies and maybe some raptors and rain means the chance of waders or maybe a scarce gull or tern.

Starting with birds, I paid a visit to Østensjøvannet on Sunday evening after some rain. The reason for the visit was that I know that there is a Starling roost there and I hoped to find a Rosy Starling which have been turning up in North West Europe this summer. I had ca.900 Starlings to go through which were perched on electricy pylons and swirling around in large flocks but I didn’t pick up anything pink. Over the lake there were lots of Swifts eating insects and amongst them a 1st summer Little Gull which was already moulting into its adult like 2nd winter plumage. It was flying quite high and catching insects side by side with the Swifts.

Today during rain and southerly winds I visited Fornebu hoping there might be something interesting on the fjord but had to be content with a young Ruff walking around on a disused car park looking rather lost.

Yesterday in bright sunshine I had a family of Common Buzzards engaging in flying practice in Maridalen but I have yet to see any Honey Buzzards which suggests failed breeding

On the butterfly front there is very little to see at the moment apart from lots of Green-veined Whites (rapssommerfugler) but there are still a few Dragons and Damsels around. A visit to some small pools and marshes gave me my first ever Arctic bluet (nordblåvannymfe) Coenagrion johanssoni. I also searched for Subarctic Darner (torvmoselibelle) Aeshna subarctica which also supposedly occur in the area but I only managed to find Common Hawkers (starrlibelle) Aeshna juncea which looks almost identical.

2cy Little Gull (dvergmåke) moulting into 2nd winter plumage

hunting insects along with a couple of Swifts (tårnseiler)
a juvenile Ruff (brushane) at Fornebu



my first ever Arctic bluet (nordblåvannymfe) Coenagrion johanssoni

here it is trying to mate with a much larger and uninterested female Northern Damselfy (spydblåvnnymfe)

the female after she shook off the males advances

and a male Northern Damselfly Coenagrion hastulatum
a Common Hawker and not the Subarctic Darner I was hoping to find. The small pale (yellow) spot behind the eye being a no no

and another Common Hawker just emerged from its pupa
There are still a lot of Beautiful Damselflies (blåpraktvannymfe) in the right places

a Comma (hvit C)

Lesser Marbled Fritillary (engperlemorvinge) are the commonest Fritillary now but are looking quite worn

this Four-spotted Chaser (fireflekkbredlibelle) has also seen better days

a third species of damselfy is still on the wing - Common Blue Damselfy (innsjøvannymfe) Enallagma cyathigerum
Common Darter (senhøstlibelle) Sympetrum striolatum

Black Darter (svarthøstlibelle) Sympetrum danae

No comments:

Post a Comment