Sunday 3 November 2019

Just a few more Piney Pics....


The Pine Grosbeak invasion continues and as expected has caught the attention of British birders. Birdguides asked me for some information from a Scandi perspective and I ended up being the co-author of this article. This has resulted in the first British birders booking me for some Piney action with a couple coming over on Wednesday and Thursday this coming week.

On Friday after publishing my last post with what I thought would be the ultimate shots I did of course get some equally good, if not better shots. This time though I controlled myself and only took a couple of hundred. I found a couple of males in an area where there had already been some sightings (thanks to Stig Johann) and was able to share the news in various channels such that lots  of other birders/photographers were able to enjoy the birds on both Friday and at the weekend - they must be the most photographed birds in Norway at the moment! 😊

They kept themselves to a very small area of rowans by a popular path and many non-birders got to see them at close range and showed real interest when they heard more about the species.

male Pine Grosbeak (konglebit)



discarding the skin of the berry








the plumage is stunning even from behind in a subtle kind of way

the Holmenkollen skijump as fog started coming in

and the Tryvann telecommunications tower sticking up over the fig


No comments:

Post a Comment