Thursday 7 September 2023

A couple of Fornebu ticks

Late August and early September are normally good for waders around Oslo but with Årnestangen still under water there has not been much suitable habitat for them. Storøykilen at Fornebu though has been unusually productive for waders and this last week I have added two species to my Fornebu list in the form of Little Stint and Curlew Sandpiper which are both expected birds at Årnestangen in a regular autumn but are extremely scarce elsewhere. Otherwise I have been monitoring my “scare, late breeders” and the young of one of them are now fledged and seemingly left the area whereas the others are still in the nest but will hopefully successfully fledge in less than a week.

Little Stint (dvergsnipe) looking absolutely tiny beside a Teal (krikkand)

Curlew Sandpiper (tundrasnipe) and Dunlin (myrsnipe). The Curlew Sand had unusually pale legs and I was scratching my head at first wondering whether it was a hybrid of some kind

the Curlew Sand in the middle with 2 Dunlins


Curlew Sand in flight showing the diagnostic white rump

Stock Dove (skogdue) and Tree Pipit (trepiplerke)

White Wagtail (linerle) and Blackcap (munk)

Cranes (trane) heading south over Maridalen

the forest has been generally quiet but I did manage to find "my" male Hazel Grouse (jerpe)

No comments:

Post a Comment