Thursday 16 March 2023

Little Grebe

The wintery conditions continue and it was -15C in Maridalen this morning. We are forecast to have quite a bit more snow tonight but then temperatures will rise just above zero and rain is forecast next week. There is so much snow on the ground that it will remain for a long time but I suspect we will start getting snow free patches and this will be all that is needed for new migrants to come and I would not be surprised if I notch up Snow Bunting, Lapwing and Mistle Thrush in the coming week.

Yesterday I paid a trip to Bygdøy which is normally the first place in Oslo to get new migrants but it was all very wintery. Over 30 Oystercatcher had arrived though and Stock Doves were inspecting nest sites but the fields were deep in snow. I enjoyed the waterfowl in Frognerkilen and got some of my best ever pictures of Little Grebe.

Today I dropped into the reclycling pant at Alna as I was driving past and my first Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year was my reward and I then visited Maridalen and with lovely blue skies I had a hope of a White-tailed or Golden Eagle flying over but will have to keep that hope for another day. The Great Grey Shrike showed well though as did a female Three-toed Woodpecker. Great Spotted Woodpeckers are still the only species I have heard drumming yet but the others will start soon.

Little Grebe (dvergdykker) coming into summer plumage




female Goldeneye (kvinand)

and a pair

female Goosander (laksand)

and a male

Little Grebe and Mute Swan (knoppsvane)


this Moorhen (sivhøne) has been at Frognerkilen the whole winter seems to have survived the winter in good shape

Stock Dove (skogdue)

Great Grey Shrike (varsler) - the thin white wing bar indicates this is a 1st winter bird


Three-toed Woodpecker (tretåspett)



the white forehead shows it to be a female


Roe Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment