Tuesday 8 November 2022

Bobbing Woodcock

This horrible November weather continues although Sunday afternoon was nice and with sunset happening around 4pm now I thought I would see what happened as it got dark at the reedbeds at Fornebu. With help of the thermal imager I was able to see that there was still a single Jack Snipe and Common Snipe which I had not been able to find before it got dark although no owls appeared (I hoped for Long or Short-eared). I continued into Maridalen where I found no fewer than 6 Woodcock! The unseasonally warm weather is clearly favouring them and I am looking forward to seeing how long they stay for. I was able to film one individual and it started bobbing like a Jack Snipe. I knew that American Woodcock did this but it was new for me that European Woodcocks did so just as it was that Common Snipe did so (which I witnessed for the first time recently).

Here is my video of the bobbing Woodcock:


the video and these pictures of the Woodcock (rugde) are taken with the superzoom which is much easier to use in the dark even though the quality is not as good as the bazooka


this single Bearded Tit (skjeggmeis) was the only one I could find at Fornebu today

No comments:

Post a Comment