Thursday 17 November 2022

Hazel Grouse and Kingfisher in the forest

The Ural Owl has not been seen again since it flew off to hunt on Saturday evening (analysis of pictures of the head and tail does strongly suggest that it was indeed the same bird at both locations) so birding has returned to more normal levels of excitement but it has still been exciting 😊 Things will hopefully go to another level this weekend though when I visit Kjell on the west coast Last time I was there in November 2018 proved to be a VERY productive trip.

Headlining this weeks Oslo birding has been the Kingfisher which I found last Friday proving to still be present and also proving to be as skulky as a Dusky Warbler 😉. I have frequently heard it but seeing it on the forest stream has proven very difficult even in flight. I have managed to find it perched just twice but good photos will have to wait for another time.

Yesterday the first snow of the autumn fell with the trees on the hills surrounding Oslo having a light smattering on them. This prompted me to visit the forest today and my usual pair of Hazel Grouse showed exceptionally well.

Frequent evening trips have shown 1-3 Woodcocks still present although I expect fewer next week as freezing temperatures are now forecast.



"my" male Hazel Grouse (jerpe) was his usual confiding self today


using the flash




here the female who was less confiding

the male feeding on buds





here you see quite how close the male came


Kingfisher (isfugl)


snow on the Maridalen alps

a late Blackcap (munk)

Long-tailed Tit (stjertmeis)


one of Maridalen's Pygmy Owls (spurveugle)

Waxwings (sidensvans) are not very numerous but I did bump into this flock

Woodcock (rugde)


in thermal imager



No comments:

Post a Comment