Sunday 14 November 2021

Long-tailed Tits

Friday was a productive day in Maridalen with an extremely fortuitous encounter with a flock of Long-tailed Tits that came through the same sunlit rowan tree that a Pine Grosbeak was sitting in. The Grosbeak was sitting there almost motionless whereas the tits in typical fashion were buzzing around but there were enough of them and they stayed just long enough looking for insects that I got some rather nice pictures with which to remember the encounter with.

Grosbeaks have suddenly become more difficult to find with just one or two birds giving themselves up to me but there are still loads of berries around and I hope that once it gets cold and the snow come that they will become easier to find again.

My Pygmy Owl was singing in the same area as I found it earlier in the week but even though I stood next to the small group of trees it was in I failed to see it and it then later sang again from the other side of the clearing without showing. Once the snow comes this should also be an easier species to pin down as its hunting options will become more limited.

Østensjøvannet is still brimming with birds and a Shoveler was a very late and unexpected find.




long-tailed Tits (stjertmeis)










I'm not sure what it found to eat but it then proceeded to use its feet to help get to whatever goodies were in there











Pine Grosebeak (konglebit) - this young male(?) has been alone and in the same tree for a few days





Shoveler (skjeand) with Wigeon (brunnakke)





No comments:

Post a Comment