Friday 19 November 2021

Grozzas, Grouse and Wigeon

Since my last post I have been stocking up on Grozzas and Grouses with a trip to Østensjøvannet to give me some other impulses. Far fewer Pine Grosbeaks are being reported but if you know where to look it is still possible to find them and yesterday I had flocks of 13 and 4 but not a single adult male amongst them. A female Hazel Grouse gave herself very easily when I went to check out the favoured alders but there are only a few trees in this area so when all the catkins are eaten up I will have find out where they have moved to but as they usually have relatively small territories then it shouldn’t be too hard. It is very interesting to watch such a large bird clambering around in the top of a tree nipping off the catkins.

At Østensjøvannet there was a very large concentration of birds and a Goshawk tried its luck with the Wigeon which caused them to fly around giving their evocative call and passing close to me on a number of occasions which was quite magical..

Wigeon (brunnakke) Østensjøvannet





Lots of waterfowl are congregating before the ice comes and forces them south







I still can't get enough of Pine Grosbeaks (konglebit)












female Hazel Grouse (jerpe)

a particularly congregation of Blue and Great Tits


No comments:

Post a Comment