Wednesday 27 October 2021

More Grozzas

Monday, I was guiding Karle from Bristol and I had suggested we go looking for some of the forest specialities which I had easily found on Friday. Then the Grosbeaks turned up at the weekend and everything seemed set for a good day’s guiding. The weather wasn’t the best with it being really overcast but the wind wasn’t too strong and I still had faith. It was all very quiet though and hardly anything wanted to play ball. The Grosbeaks took a LOT of work and were only seen poorly with a Sparrowhawk probably the cause. Nutcracker, Waxwing, heard only Black Woodpecker and Crested, Willow and Long-tailed Tits were the best of the rest on a day when the Bird Gods obviously felt they had rewarded me well enough the previous days.

Tuesday was great sunny weather again and of course when I popped into Maridalen a load of Grozzas showed really well. I had 14-22 birds and there was not a single male amongst them. Today I had 7 birds and again not a single adult amongst them although a young male decided to sing in the sun which is the first time I can remember hearing one singing.

nice bird, nice light, lots of berries. Pine Grosbeak (konglebit)








note the remain of berries on the bill including frothy juice and the sliced open berry from which the seeds have been extracted

a beautifully coloured young male

this bird was singing (hear in the video) so must also be a 1cy male



lots of auks have appeared in the fjord and inland despite us not having a storm. Here a Razorbill (alke) and Guillemot (lomvi) side by side


this Guillemot was one of 11 I saw on Maridalsvannet and it is very unusual to see them on land like this. A Brunnich's Guillemot has turned up inland north of Oslo and it would be VERY nice if one would turn up in Oslo

a late Mistle Thrush (duetrost) in Maridalen. I also had White Wagtail, Meadow Pipit and Wood Pigeon today all of which are late records

No comments:

Post a Comment