Monday 16 August 2021

Time for an update

It is perhaps time to have an update to this birding blog although I was so happy with my butterflies that I thought I would let them hog the spotlight for a bit.

There hasn’t been too much birding over the last week although I did have a fun time guiding Heidi again on Wednesday when we went out east to Kallaksjøen and Hellesjøvannet. We had a good mix of birds with flocks of Cranes and Greylag Geese showing that autumn is upon us, a variety of migrating waders and 4 juvenile Marsh Harriers amongst others.

On Tuesday I treated myself to a birthday present by standing for 3 and a half hours on the top of a ski jump (the highest point I could find) hoping to see raptors and work out where they were nesting. I did see six different species including Honey Buzzard but only a pair of Hobbies gave me a clue as to where their nest is (which reminds me I need to follow up on that).

In Maridalen the first fields have already been harvested and these have attracted pipits, Yellow Wagtails and Whinchats although I am yet to find a Bluethroat. A few Red-backed Shrikes are still to be seen. An interesting sighting was of a juvenile Goshawk that flew up from a field edge and then flew slowly low over the lake before suddenly splash landing in the water and swimming ashore. I have no idea as to why this happened – I do not think it was going after anything in the water and although it did look worse for where when it had come out of the water it had looked strong and healthy when taking off.


juvenile Goshawk (hønsehauk) after crashing landing in Maridalsvannet



and a video of it once it had clambered out of the water


a flock of Golden Plover (heilo) heading south

3 juvenile Ruff (brushane)

juvenile Red-backed Shrike (tornskate)


Whinchats (buskskvett) and a single Tree Sparrow (pilfink)

Whinchat

I have of course not just been looking at birds:

a male Vagrant Darter (sørhøstlibelle)

my first Migrant Hawker (septemberlibelle) of the year

Red Admiral (admiral)

and a Painted Lady (tistelsommerfugl) which has been scarce this year

No comments:

Post a Comment