Monday 23 August 2021

Another week

Long gone are the days when I updated this blog on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with my interest in blogging or birding but more that family commitments taking a lot of my time and sitting down in front of the PC is difficult.

Since my last update I have spent time checking up on local rare breeders (will come back to all of these in the winter) all of whom seem to be doing well despite all the pressure us humans put on wildlife and habitats.

The forests and fields often give the impression of being empty of birds at the moment. The birds are still there but many are moulting and become incredibly secretive at this time. I had my first Brambling of the autumn on Thursday though so the flood gates are probably about to open.

Raptor passage is slowly beginning with some Kestrels moving through and the local breeding birds show themselves every now again. Surprisingly I hardly see any Goshawks at the moment despite them being the commonest local breeding species but I do see a few Sparrowhawks so obviously some avoided the talons of the Gozzas. Hobbies are showing regularly but I have still to locate where they are breeding but Honey Buzzards are only noticeable by their absence.

my first Brambling (bjørkefink) of the autumn - an early record

a dark Common Buzzard (musvåk) which gave a bit of a Honey Buzzard vibe at distance

a sinensis Cormorant

migrant Kestrel (tårnfalk)


thing must be slow when I photograph Mallards (stokkand)

migrant Wheatear (steinskvett) in Maridalen

adult Hobby (lerkefalk) in Maridalen - They must be breeding locally (probably the pair I saw in June)

No comments:

Post a Comment