Wednesday 7 July 2021

Siberian Jay

I have seen Siberian Jays in the Beitostølen area previously but their appearances have been of the usual random sort that one associates with this species but this time I feel I may have discovered an easily accessible territory which should be good for guiding. I first heard, and then saw, a bird on the other side of a lake and 15 sweaty minutes later was looking at two birds at close range before the heavens opened. The rain occurred at the same time as my camera told me my memory card was full so I was happy to head back to the cabin to dry off.

 

Here are also some other bits and bobs from our week in Beitostølen: video of the Dotterels and Great Snipe and a Crane family that showed well by the road. Jr was (learner) driving and saw the birds first and is proving to perhaps be even better than me at finding birds (or animals) whilst driving and I now understand why others in the car find this quite disconcerting….

Siberian Jay (lavskrike)






the fluffy look of this bird suggests a juvenile


Great Snipe (dobbeltbekkasin) video:


And Dotterel (boltit) video:


Crane (trane) family. The brown backs is a result of the incubating adult washing mucky marks water over its back to give camouflage






there were lots of hares around the cabin



I found out what is at the end of the rainbow - Jr



there is a large flock of domesticated reindeer that wander around Valdresflye causing I assume lots of damage to the ecosystem


Jr Jr and sheep

the mountain of Bitihorn reflected in my new sunglasses

and Bitihorn head on


No comments:

Post a Comment