Friday 12 March 2021

Stonechat in the Snow

Halvard’s Stonechat is still here (until yesterday at least) which makes me wonder how long it may have been around before he found it on Tuesday. Yesterday we had 30 cm of new snow so I was very surprised to find the bird still there. Indeed, it was the only bird I encountered other than 2 Hooded Crows and a heard only Yellowhammer. With all the snow I think its chances of finding food were zero and it just perched with its feather puffed up but didn’t look sick or weak and as long as it was in good enough condition it will be able to survive a while by using its body fat. I had been expecting to find it around a nearby farm where there are horses and manure and I presume a few flies and it may well end up here if it can’t find food elsewhere over the coming days.



Stonechat (svartstrupe). 2cy male of the race hibernans






this picture is from Wednesday before the snow came

A trip to Østensjøvannet did not reveal too much (I had hoped the snipe would be out in the open again given all the snow) but there were a few signs of spring with an increase in the number of Coots (upto 40 from the 17 that had wintered) plus three Goldeneye including one which allowed itself to be photographed. There was also a Water Rail that looks like it has survued the winter.

male Goldeneye (kvinand)

I couldn't help myself with playing with "levels"


The adult Water Rail (vannrikse) was still going strong

The Whooper Swans (sangsvane) in Maridalen on Monday when it was more spring like



No comments:

Post a Comment