Wednesday 24 March 2021

Finches

I do love spring. With fresh southerly winds and no overnight frost I had high expectations for today. I thought that Pink-footed Geese would go through in good numbers and expected to see lots of raptors and Cranes. Well that (of course) didn’t happen but there was a noticeable arrival of birds in Maridalen.

On the lake Mallards and Goosanders had joined the Goldeneyes, 4 Lapwings were displaying over two different fields and 7 species of finch were feeding in the same field: Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Brambling (my first of the year), (Common) Redpoll, Goldfinch, Linnet and Twite (also my first of the year). They were feeding alongside Yellowhammers, Fieldfares and Starlings so there was a lot of life! Seeing all these finches reminded me that I have still to record Siskin this year!! Some will certainly appear on spring migration soon but this has been a terrible year for wintering finches in South Eastern Norway.

Mistle Thrush and Great Grey Shrike were notable birds but the only raptor I saw was a half second glimpse of something that may have been a Red Kite or may have been something commoner…

 Here is my main eBird list from today.

my first Twite (bergirisk) of the year. This was a male and he spent a long time singing from a tree. There was another bird in the same field but they were never together

here two Linnets (tornirisk) and the Twite

male and female Linnet. This species breeds around Oslo and is regular in Maridalen on migration but does not breed there

male Lapwing (vipe)

pair of Lapwings. The female on the left is less well marked especially on the throat and breast

this Mistle Thrush (duetrost) was on its own on a still snow covered field

No comments:

Post a Comment