Wednesday 10 February 2021

Same old, same old

I have been pottering around Maridalen in the cold on most days and seeing most of the same birds and a Sunday trip to Fornebu surprisingly revealed a Moorhen and a Teal on a tiny area of open water. The Moorhen is the first winter record from Fornebu and hid under ice when disturbed!

Moorhen (sivhøne) tracks

In the Dale two Hawk Owls were perched up today only 100m from each other and I now think that the chance of singing and maybe even breeding must be a possibility. I really do have high hopes for breeding owls around Oslo this spring although my nocturnal trips in Maridalen have so far not revealed any hooting.

I got very good views of one of (the only now?) Buzzards yesterday but my photos from the car were horribly unsharp. I have had this problem a lot and think that it is due to the warm air in the car (+25C) meeting the cold outside air (-10C) and this causes a form of heat haze that the camera magnifies.

Bullfinches (dompap) are the only finch species I encounter in the forest at the moment and they are not particularly numerous this year

Common Buzzard (musvåk) this intermediate plumaged bird is the only one I have with certainty encountered recently




one of today's two Hawk Owls (haukugle) which can both be seen in the video



female Three-toed Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment