Thursday 28 January 2021

Hawkie x 4

Since my last post on Sunday daily temperatures have fallen to -15C early in the mornings although they rise to a barmy -5C in the afternoons. There have been no major changes in the bird scene although my Pygmy Owl seems to have moved on to, as yet undiscovered, new pastures.

On Monday, my first downhill skiing trip of the winter at Oslo’s Wyllerløypa was enlivened by 4 Pine Grosbeaks seen from the chair lift. This is the second time I have seen them from the lift here and I have also chalked up Hawk and Pygmy Owl in the past. Pine Grosbeaks have been more or less absent from southern Norway this winter (following the mayor invasion last winter) so it was a real surprise to see them. I was back at the slope on Wednesday dropping off Jr Jr and a friend and I then went birding in Sørkedalen which gave me a Great Grey Shrike and Hawk Owl. I have also seen three different Hawkies in Maridalen this week aswell as the Great Grey Shrike so both of Oslo’s valleys are delivering the good this winter although it is only Maridalen that has overwintering Buzzards.

Today, in addition to some cool Water Rail action which I will blog about at a later date, I had a close encounter with a Sparrowhawk in the garden which took the Fieldfare that has been here for the last three weeks – one less species to worry about in this weekends Garden Bird count 😉

Sparrowhawk (spurvehauk) astride a Fieldfare (gråtrost) in the garden. By my reckoning the hawk is an adult female. The thrush is deceased...


Oslo Hawk Owl #1 (Maridalen west)

Oslo Hawk Owl #2 (Maridalen north)

Oslo Hawk Owl #3 (Maridalen East)

Oslo Hawk Owl #4 (Sørkedalen north)

the Sørkedalen bird. The sun is shining off apartments about 7km away

a couple of Nutcrackers (nøttekråke) were annoyed with Hawk Owl #1 on Monday



No comments:

Post a Comment