Sunday 26 July 2020

Watching waders in the rain at Årnestangen

Before I have had the time, or inclination, to go through holiday pictures I had to get out birding this morning. With rain forecast there was no other place to be than Årnestangen and I was not disappointed. There were no rarities but good numbers of brick red arctic breeding waders is always enough to make me happy. Highlight were; 44 Bar-tailed Godwits, 47 Knot, 23 Grey Plover, 6 Sanderling and a Curlew Sandpiper. I had 17 waders species in total and my eBird checklists can be seen here:

There was some coming and going with flocks of both Barwits and Knot arriving whilst I was there and most of the Barwit also continued on their southbound migration. Conditions are looking very good out there but as usual a telescope was necessary and I do not look forward to the day a rare stint or small sandpiper is found there..

Knot (polarsnipe), Sanderling (sandløper), Grey Plover (tundralo) and Curlew Sandpiper (tundrasnipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment