Friday 3 July 2020

Red-necked Phalaropes anno 2020

The second part of our summer holiday has started and we are making our way north to Bodø at a more leisurely pace than we normally do. We are waiting for the weather forecast in the north to improve whilst in mid Norway it isn’t too bad although we did awake this morning to fresh snow on the mountains above 1100m.

This year we are spending a few nights in the mountain area where I normally stop so I can get my fix of Red-necked Phalarope. Instead of 30 minutes though I now have hours at my disposition. It is right in the middle of the nesting season and I have come across three males who were probably nesting nearby and only one female who has probably done her job and may well be heading off south soon. Otherwise there are nesting Wood Sandpipers, Redshank, Whimbrel and Golden Plover in the area. I have not seen a single raptor which confirms my impression from Beitostølen that is not a rodent year in the mountains of southern central Norway.


Red-necked Phalarope (svømmesnipe) - a male I believe as the plumage, especially the breast, is not very dark



Anothet male, note the webbed feet


Probably a female

This defintely looks to be a female



F

Lots of Yellow (Grey-headed) Wagtails - this one a female

Snow on the mountains

Whimbrel (småspove)

No comments:

Post a Comment