Tuesday 10 January 2012

Skiing

The 20cm of snow that fell yesterday meant that there was finally enough snow for skiing around Oslo so I headed for Sørkedalen and set off into the forest. This was my first proper ski trip of the winter and after 11km a couple of blisters and aching muscles told me that enough was enough. Despite there being no wind I only saw or heard a single bird during the entire trip and that was a crow!! Where were the Pine Grosbeaks, Three-toed Woodpeckers or Two-barred Crossbills??
Driving back home I had another bird sitting on top of a birch tree - guess what a Great Grey Shrike. My tenth sighting in 2012 and most likely the same bird that I saw in Sørkedalen a couple of times at the end of 2011. It is obviously finding enough food even if I didn't see any passerines.
A quick drive round Maridalen revealed a couple of Dippers which were my first of the year and would also have made fantastic photo objects if I only I had remembered my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment