Thursday 12 January 2012

1 out of 2

Today i had decided i would add two species to my year list: Med Gull and Little Grebe both of which have been seen over the last couple of days in Oslo.
The Little Grebe came very easily and also at a new location. I popped into Kadettangen in Sandvika to check if there were any interesting gulls or ducks and the first bird I saw before even leaving the car was Little Grebe - if only it was always so easy. Also here a male Teal, a couple of Tufted Duck, 42 Mute Swans and an adult male Goshawk that put all the local pigeons and gulls into a panic.
I checked out the two sites which have held Little Grebe in the last week but without finding one so the bird I saw was presumeably one of these relocating.
I spent an hour at Frognerparken hoping for the Med Gull to put in a occurence but to no avail. 12 Black-headed Gulls, 5 Common Gulls, 25 Herring Gulls, the female Teal and two Tufted Ducks were the highlights. I was able to read colour rings on 3 1st winter and one 2nd winter Herring Gull plus a 1st winter Common Gull. Two of the young Herring Gulls had been ringed as nestlings last June in Bærum (very close to Oslo) and the other 3 had all been caught locally and have been seen often in Oslo area but not further afield.

No comments:

Post a Comment