Monday 16 September 2024

Two-barred Crossbill



We are now entering that exciting period of the autumn when I should be telling you about my upcoming trip to a wind blown island in search of eastern magic. This year though does not look to be shaping up in the right way such that I have not definite plans in place yet although may travel spur of the moment if the weather looks promising and others have the same thought.

Hopefully though this will be the year for multiple eastern magic in Oslo and maybe increased searching will result in more being found?

I have my ears tuned in for the call of Yellow-browed Warbler already and as the autumn progresses maybe this will be the year for an Olive-backed Pipit or Little Bunting.

 

I was out in the forest today checking up on the Honey Buzzard nest (they seem finally to have left) and although I did not hear a YbW I did hear a trumpet call from amongst a 50 strong flock of Common Crossbills and after a bit of work laid my eyes on a Two-barred Crossbill. It was a streaky juvenile and makes one wonder how far away from here it hatched. I already have the species on my #Oslo2024 list with a heard only bird close by on June7th and this raises the otherwise unlikely prospect that they actually bred in Oslo this summer.


it was misty in the forest so I felt lucky to get a picture of the 2bC

juvenile Two-barred Crossbill (båndkorsnebb)
And the northern lights on Saturday over Maridalen


No comments:

Post a Comment