Monday 24 April 2023

Winter returns

Since my last post the weather has changed from being summer like to a return to wintery conditions. Friday and Saturday remained hot with temperatures upto 18C and sun cream having to applied liberally whereas Sunday and today have been wet and cold with a bracing northerly wind blowing and snow once again falling on the hillsides around Maridalen. Neither of these weather types has resulted in any great new arrival of birds which was great for me as I was busy this weekend being a good (Norwegian) father and working at a second-hand market to raise money for Jr Jr’s out of school activities. I have to do this two weekends a year and both are in prime birding season so I fret every time I get a message on my phone and wonder what I will not get to see.

I did get to pop out to Maridalen early on Sunday morning in the rain and apart from lots of thrushes on the fields the only interest came from a Little Ringed Plover. After last year bumper success for this species due to the low water levels I was wondering whether we would have any records this year. The water level is too high for breeding but I was expecting some of last years birds to at least pop in just to check on conditions and I would like to think that the bird I saw was one of the last years birds.

Today was equally disappointing with hardly any duck on the couple of open areas (the lake is still 99% frozen) but a male Hen Harrier did make the day. It is quite interesting that of my observations of Hen Harriers (10+) in Maridalen the vast majority have been ringtails at long range migrating over whereas the two times I have seen an adult male it has been low over the fields. Today’s bird quickly flew over the lake so my views were brief but if the bird had been the long awaited Pallid Harrier then I am sure I would have described the views as fantastic 😉

On Friday I visited Svellet again and the water levels continue to rise such that it looks like the wader season will be over before it begins which is a crying shame but it seems the hot weather caused the flood to come early. There is still lots of snow in the mountains though and we can hope that the water level will be lowered though such that it can receive this later flood and hopefully that will happen in 2 weeks time.

male Hen Harrier (myrhauk) in Maridalen

male White Wagtail (linerle)

Little Ringed Plover (dverglo)

a pair of Mute Swans (knoppsvane) has turned up again in Maridalen and if they try to nest then we are guaranteed lots of action with the Whooper Swans unlikely to accept their presence

one of two Pink-footed Geese (kortnebgås) in Maridalen


Smew (lappfiskand) at Merkja on Friday



No comments:

Post a Comment