Saturday 3 September 2022

Store Færder

I’ve just woken up after my second night on Store Færder. It is raining but will soon stop and I am filled with expectation 😊.

I was also filled with expectation yesterday morning but the day proved very disappointing on the passerine front with just 13 birds ringed. Still, it was not difficult to fill 13 hours with birding and waders provided much entertainment with ridiculously close views of young Little Stint, Sanderling, Knot and Dunlin.

You always keep looking when on an island though and in the afternoon there was clearly a new arrival at the northern end with a handful of Wheatears and Redstart and a bird that will have to go down as the one that got away. I saw a passerine fly into a bush and as I raised my bins to look at it it flew out and I had a 2 second view as it flew over a rock never to be seen again. What I saw left me 90% certain it was an isabelline Shrike sp! Maybe we will refind it today.


I have taken far too many photos and these are just a few that stood out.


Sanderling (sandløper)

Knot (polarsnipe)

Little Stint (dvergsnipe)

Dunlin (myrsnipe) and Little Stint

Sanderling and Dunlin

Knot


Great Spotted Woodpecker (flaggspett)


Goldcrest (fuglekonge)

No comments:

Post a Comment