Tuesday 21 December 2021

Feeding the addiction

If there is any doubt as to my addiction to Pine Grosbeaks then one just needs to go back through my posts from the last couple of months and see which species overwhelmingly dominates. Most other birders in Norway Grozzas are an interesting species and put some effort into seeing them when they first arrived but I don’t think anyone else has the same needs that I have. I am not entirely sure where it comes from. The fact that it is such a mythical species in the UK is a big part of it plus the fact that I had to wait over a decade to see one in Oslo after moving. But is a lot more than the scarcity – they are also fascinating birds, unafraid of humans, large, colourful and bags full of interesting behaviour.

Adult males have become almost non-existent again and the birds I am finding also seem more skittish which I am sure is the result of predation by Sparrowhawks.  It is very easy to walk right past birds at just a few meters range though. They are silent and also often now are feeding in rowan trees with just a few dried out berries on rather than the trees with lots of red berries so they are not where you are expecting to find them.

Last Thursday I had an encounter with a flock at sunrise (not until around 0930 now) and my inner togger really came out as I tried to take interesting pictures with the sun reflecting off windows of buildings in the city over 3 kilometres from where I and the birds were.


Pictures taken 16 December:


















Long-tailed Tit (stjertmeis)


Pictures taken 17 December:






always nice with a bit of nictitating membrane




two of three Dippers (fossekall) that seemed to be finding lots to eat in Maridalen


Pictures taken 18 December:


yet another male Pine Grosbeak with a confusing plumage. Is this a 1st or 2nd winter? But aren't 2nd winter birds supposed to be like adults?


I don't know what to make of those tail feathers

bottom right bird

quite red on the back



No comments:

Post a Comment