Monday 20 April 2020

Sun, sun and too much sun


This weekend saw me sleeping in on both Saturday and Sunday which is pretty much unheard of during spring migration but the hot, dry, sunny weather is just not producing very much and my decision did not prove to be too wrong. Family walks in the forest and in Maridalen produced my first Merlin of the year and a Rough-legged Buzzard but the real entertainment came from an Adder that was making straight for us and looked like it was about to go over the Beast who had‘nt noticed it. We avoided any altercation and then got to see the snake drinking which is a first for me.

Today whilst out I heard a singing Song Thrush and it reminded me that this species can really sound like lots of different birds. I am quite sure that a couple of really strange recent records of Greenshank and Redshank heard calling actually relate to Song Thrush.

Whilst working in the the garden this afternoon a singing Blackcap was my first for the year.

My post from 12 April which included text describing and pictures showing mating Canada Geese seems to have been censored by Google! I haven’t received any notification but all the pictures of the geese have been removed. Big Brother is watching…


Adder (hoggorm) drinking



male Ring Ouzel (ringtrost) today

male Siskin (grønnsisik)

I'm not sure what t was finding to eat but maybe there are seeds


Halvard found these Slavonian Grebes (horndykker) on Sunday morning whilst I slept but I was able to find them later, unlike the Shoveler he also saw

this pair of Three-toed Woodpeckers were making a lot of noise drumming today. Another bird was answering the ca.300m away but I never saw that bird.

4 comments:

  1. Just discovered my blog of April 12 has had all photos removed, and there were no birds mating in it!! I'll try editing and re-posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope they are gone from my account and unlike you once I post them I delete them, so that's that then. 😡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Derek, it clearly looks like Google/Blogspot were having some problems on 12 April rather than them censoring me. All the pictures that you upload to your blog are saved in your Google Album Archive. When you click on Insert Image it comes up as one of the options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers thanks I'll have a go at that. Due in Oslo in October for a football match fingers crossed that:
    A) It goes ahead
    B) we're allowed in!!

    ReplyDelete