Sunday 19 January 2020

Adders from April 2019


In addition to the the Three-toed Woodpeckers I had also promised a blog post on Adders from last spring but have only just realised I had never got around to doing so with the reason being that I had taken far too much video and stills from that day and kept putting off going through them until I finally forgot about them...
I have now gone through them though and have some quite satisfying pictures of males fighting. I also filmed what I thought was mating but my videos only seem to show a male earnestly trying to mate but a female who was not yet opening up to his advances. I have put together a video though which while being quite long shows some interesting behaviour and was fun to make.


Add caption









the female was very distinctive
as was the Black (male) Adder

but the blue/grey males could also be told apart due to their head markings especially between the nostrils. Male #1
male #2

male #3

male #4

No comments:

Post a Comment