Thursday 8 August 2019

The Oslo Naturalist

The last two days have been about allround nature watching rather than just birding. Tuesday morning I started at Årnestangen where the rain completely failed to materialise and therefore the hoped for wader and gullfest was a no starter. There were of course some waders with my first juvenile Dunlins of the autumn plus a fly over Great White Egret. 

In the afternoon Mrs. OB and I enjoyed the pod of Atlantic White sided Dolphins that have guested the Oslofjord for the last week. We had seen them on Sunday but at 3km range in the telescope although ut was still very exciting to see them jumping clear of the water. On Tuesday they were right by the waterfront and we saw them well and heard them breathing but never saw a jump although did hear one when we were looking in the wrong place….

Yesterday I took the ferry to Gressholmen hoping to see the dolphins at much closer range but the dolphins had clearly moved to another area. Gressholmen was quiet on the bird front but butterflies saved the day. In the afternoon I went on my first ever dragonfly specific quest (with beast in tow) and was rewarded with my first northern emerald myrmetallibelle. I also succeeded with flight photography for the first time by using manual focus and see more potential here because most dragonflies (or at least the larger ones) never seem to land so this will be my only way to ID them.

I have a flight to catch now so the following pictures will have to do although I have loads more plus video (especially of the dolphins) I need to go through. That backlog isn’t getting smaller..

northern emarald (myrmetallibelle) - first time I've seen one. I searched it out on a marsh with in the forest north of Oslo which is one of just a handful of sites close to Oslo where it has ever been recorded







small heath (engringvinge) on Gressholmen

Painted Lady (tistelsommerfugl)

Queen of Spain Fritillary (sølvkåpe)

Wall Brown (sørringvinge)

adult Arctic Tern (rødnebbterne) was a surprise when we were dolphin watching

1cy Arctic Tern

another and duskier adult Arctic Tern



here a 1cy Common Tern (makrellterne) with an adult Arctic
from left: the 1cy Common, 2 adult Arctics and the 1c Arctic


Atlantic White Sided Dolphins (kvitskjeving)

here there is clearly a younger animal that seems to lying on its parents back




the Red-backed Shrikes (varsler) are still in Maridalen including the adult female who I have seen bringing food for the first time


dad does seem to be the favourite though


a mixed flock of Ringed Plover (sandlo) and Dunlin (myrsnipe) at Årnestangen


No comments:

Post a Comment