Thursday 28 March 2019

Still waiting


I intended to have another long sky gazing session in Maridalen today but by 1030 I reckoned that there was not much point. I had seen three flocks of Pink-footed Geese, a flock of Greylags and a single Buzzard but I incorrectly thought new pastures would have more to show. Passerine wise a couple of Twite were at least new for Oslo in 2019.

The news pastures I chose were Årnestangen but here it really was very disappointing with almost nothing to see. There was excitement on the way though when I stopped at a field that has recently held Snow Buntings and saw a flock of 80 very well and on the way home a large raptor that I saw from the car turned out to be an adult White-tailed Eagle after I was able to stop and use optics.


Snow Bunting (snøspurv)



White-tailed Eagle havørn) - seems to be an adult with an all white tail. It was heading towards Nordre Øyeren and was probably the widowed bird

Lapwing (vipe) in the snow

it is mating time for Roe Deer

Skylark (sanglerke)

There were 3 adders on show in Maridalen today and this one looks like it has changed its skin. Two were surprisingly on show at 08:55 when it was only +1C and the sun was out. By mid afternoon when it was quite warm they were able to move very quickly
Common Buzzard (musvåk)



male Chaffinch (bokfink)

I can't quite work out what this male Goshawk (hønsehauk) is carrying

2 comments: