Wednesday 20 September 2017

1 day to go

With only 1 day to go until Værøy I am very excited but those who are already on the island appear to be wishing they could go home especially Kjell who has been there since Friday. Birding wise it has been absolutely pants so far. The highest day count of Yellow-browed Warblers has been a paltry 3 birds and the rarest bird has been a Carrion Crow!! But I have faith and let’s face it Kjell isn’t exactly an observant birder - don’t allow yourself to be fooled by the face he leads the Norway self-found league ;-)

My birding today was limited to a quick trip to Fornebu where the big surprise was a Sedge Warbler and Reed Warbler in the reedbed. In addition to being a bit late this is actually my first Sedge Warbler at Fornebu (following my first for Oslo earlier in the year).


In Maridalen the Whooper Swan family have made their maiden flight and were first on the lake before continuing their flying lessons with a tour around the valley. I so wish I had seen them making their first flight as I really wonder how risky it is with them having to take off from land and gain height quickly to avoid trees.

I didn't manage a photo of the Sedge Warbler (sivsanger) but here is the Reed Warbler (rørsanger)

this juv Spotted Redshank (sotsnipe) was also at Fornebu

autumnal Tree Sparrow (pilfink)


the Whooper Swan (sangsvane) family on Maridalsvannet where there was lots of wing flapping and running on water

flying lessons

No comments:

Post a Comment