Tuesday 27 March 2012

Crazy Blue Tit


I noticed when getting into the car today that there was a lot of bird poo on the passenger side window and mirror. I wondered who the culprit was but didn’t give it too much thought. Then just as I was about to start the engine a Blue Tit landed on the driver’s side door and began attacking the mirror. Classic stuff – a crazy Blue Tit scared of its own reflection. It then saw me and flew to our neighbour’s car to attack another “intruder”. As you see in the picture there is a fair amount of poo so it must get quite agitated during these encounters.
Get out of here - this is my territory!

The chosen nesting box (the one without the camera) is only a few metres away so presumably he is ultra territorial.
At my parents house in Sussex, England they have a Blue Tit that repeatedly hovers and pecks at the corners of windows (also very close to the nesting box), I assume that this bird also is seeing its reflection and therefore a competing male.

An afternoon walk around Fornebu in temperatures of 20C (a bit of a contrast to Finnmark!) was lacking in birds although I did have my first White Wagtail and Linnet of 2012 and a flock of migrating Cormorants.

No comments:

Post a Comment