Thursday 16 June 2011

Honey Buzzard in Nordmarka

Time for another bike ride. 55km through Nordmarka. Due to a ageing body that complained in many areas I took things a bit easy and was able to enjoy some of the bird life. The 4 commonest species were Chaffinch, Siskin, Tree Pipit and Willow Warbler all of which could be seen or heard throughout the ride. Spotted Flycatchers were also numerous especially in the open areas of forest. Other interesting species noted were Pied Flycatcher, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Common Sandpiper, Garden Warbler and Blackcap, Wren (still very scarce this year) and Mistle Thrush.
Highlight though came when I stopped at a lake to see if there was anything to see (there wasn't) when I heard a bird calling. It sounded a bit gull like and on looking up I saw a large bird of prey approaching at a couple of hundred metres height. I initially assumed Osprey but then realised that it was in fact a Honey Buzzard. It then preceeded to thermal above me and became smaller and smaller before finally disappearing as a small dot by which time it was presumably over a kilometre up in the sky.
Pleased with my second HB of the year I continued to Maridalen where a singing Icterine Warbler had me confused for a while as it sounded very Marsh Warbler like and a singing Common Rosefinch again remained invisible (I have heard them 3 or 4 times this year in Maridalen without catching sight of the bird).

No comments:

Post a Comment