Monday 9 May 2011

Frustration

I was not able to get out to Maridalen yesterday so I was very frustrated this morning to see a report of a Garganey from there yesterday. I had planned to cycle around Maridalen this morning so I cycled with a little more purpose as I set off. On the way up I saw a Long-tailed Tit and heard my first Wood Warbler of the year as well as also hearing singing Pied Flycatcher.
From the dam at Maridalsvannet I saw a distant pair of Black-throated Divers and was also excited so see that the water level has fallen considerably. At the bay by the church ruins there was no sign of the Garganey from yesterday but on the mud there was 4 Wood Sandpipers, 2 Green Sandpipers a few Common Sandpipers and the immature Whooper Swan. I could also hear a Wryneck singing in the distance which was nice to get on the local patch this year. I checked out another bay and here there were 3 Greenshank plus the 3 sandpiper species. Also a male Teal and overhead 3 migrating Cranes and a Sparrowhawk and a pair of Great Crested Grebes which are a very unusual species here and only my second record.

After lunch I paid a quick trip to Bogstadvannet. Over the weekend a number of waders were reported from here including Temmincks Stint. When I arrived I could see there was a lot of exposed mud but the lake was also covered in school kids in kayaks and I notched up only a single Greenshank, Wood Sandpiper, 5 Common Sandpipers and a singing Snipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment