Tuesday 19 December 2023

Multiple Pygmy Owls in the Dale

On Sunday I permitted myself a mid day drive around the Dale and was rewarded with great views of two roadside Pygmy Owls. One was perched on overhead wires staring intently at the (snow covered) verge on the other side of the road and I was able to park the car and watch it up close. It suddenly dived across the road before pulling up and perching at head hight in a bush. I as then able to drive up beside it and watched it dive down into the snow and disappear into a hole at the base of a tree before emerging mouse less. I captured some of this on video but in typical style failed to record the really interesting behaviour. Another bird was seen at a different site so there are three known Pygmy Owls in Maridalen

They are not always easy birds to find though and today only one of them gave itself up for me.

Pygmy Owl (spurveugle) #1

same bird


and #2

the hole she disappeared into






and the most colourful bit of a Nuthatch (spettmeis)



some spectacular clouds


1 comment: