Sunday 2 July 2023

New damselfly and Kingfisher

Weather in the evenings was not conducive to Nightjars so I was unable to enjoy one from the veranda with glass of wine in hand but daytime weather was good and some nice walks were enjoyed. One to a very picturesque village by a slow moving river (really not very Norwegian at all and more like England) had me thinking odonate. I know that these types of rivers are where you have a chance of finding the very localised Common Clubtail (klubbelvelibelle) and set about looking for any dragons or damsels. I only had two dragons, one was a patrolling Brilliant Emerald (glansmetallibelle) and the other which flew past at great speed was most likely the one I was looking for but it was gone too quickly. A damselfly caught my attention and I quickly realised it was a new one for me and remembered that also scarce White-legged Damselfly (fjærbeinvannymfe) also likes this habitat and that was what it was and a new odonate was in the bag!

The river also screamed Kingfisher to me and sure enough I soon heard and then saw one as it flew back and forth along the river and I am sure there was breeding close by. As far as I know this river is not a known locality for the species but that may just be because nobody has checked before.

male White-legged Damselfly (fjærbeinvannymfe)




Brilliant Emerald (glansmetallibelle)

male Kingfisher (isfugl)

he is ringed on his right leg

probably our most intensely coloured butterfly - Scarce Copper (oransjegullvinge)





and my first Queen of Spain Fritillary (sølvkåpe) of the year

No comments:

Post a Comment