Friday 20 September 2019

Værøy 2019 day 1 & 2


The first full day of Værøy of 2019 is over and I am a happy camper. Yesterday evening gave me nothing of interest and was, I think, the only first evening on Værøy when I have not had Yellow-browed Warbler. I was therefore not too optimistic about today but we awoke to a windless morning which at least made for good viewing and listening conditions. I don’t have the time or energy for a long post but Værøy’s first Rustic Bunting, Olive-backed Pipit, Yellow-browed Warbler (but only 1!), Red-throated Pipit and Pomarine Skua made for a more than OK day 😊


Rustic Bunting (vierspurv). When I heard a ticking sound a few metres away in long grass I was hoping for a rare bunting but expecting a Song Thrush. Luckily enough this time it was a rare bunting





I would have prefered to find one in the field but it was very cool to see an Olive-backed Pipit (sibirpiplerke) in the hand

adult Red-throated Pipit (lappiplerke) probably a female with so much streaking on the chest

Værøy is not complete without a Yellow-browed Warbler (gulbrynsanger) but there was only one for me today

colour ringed Rock Pipit (skjærpiplerke) which was ringed in March this year further south in Norway
this male Merlin (dvergfalk) was hunting Dunlins



No comments:

Post a Comment