Wednesday 5 June 2019

Guiding for goodies

Yesterday I had a very enjoyable and succesful day guiding Bethanne from California around Maridalen and Sørkedalen. We had great views of Red-backed Shrike, Goshawk, Icterine Warbler, Wood Warbler, Common Rosefinch, Three-toed Woodpecker and Common Crossbill amongst others. We also had a number of butterflies including the first time I have taken a photo of a Wood White.


Today saw me on Bygdøy and in Maridalen where a photogenic Marsh Warbler was the highlight.

female Red-backed Shrike (tornskate). I think this is an older female as she is quite male like

both birds

Spotted Flycatcher (gråsfluesnapper)

which was nesting where the branch was broken off

the male Three-toed Woodpecker (tretåspett) was incubating when we went past

Wood Warbler (bøksanger) 
both these pictures are of the same bird and show how much a birds appearance can change and the REAL danger of relying on single picture



Common Crossbill (grankorsnebb) feeding in a tree - not something I have seen before

I could pass this as off as a Two-barred Crossbill but the white is actually a leaf 



Wood White (skoghvitvinge)
my first Red Admiral of the year

after twice having seen a Common Sandpiper fly up when I went past I carefully looked for and found the very well hidden nest
Marsh Warbler (myrsanger) - my first in Maridalen this year and another species with a late arrival this year



and a Reed Warbler (rørsanger) on Bygdøy. This species has yet to be recorded in the Dale
 
this 1st summer White-fronted Goose looks like it has lost its way and will spend the summer with Greylag Geese in Oslo. It was just as tame as the Red-breasted Geese that visit our parts...



Maridalen's Whooper Swans (sangsvane) whose breeding attempt has failed this year

male Roe Deer


No comments:

Post a Comment