Saturday 14 April 2018

Three-toed Pecker


Yesterday I had a plan of finding either a Red Kite or a Pallid Harrier, both of which have been seen further south in Norway in recent days. In the end I saw fewer raptors than I have the last few days with a stronger cold northerly wind probably being the reason. In fact my raptor count was very low with just 1 Rough-legged Buzzard, 2 Common Buzzards, 1 Merlin, 1 Kestrel and a couple of Sparrowhawks.

One noticeable feature of today was the Lapwings feeding right by the road where (due to pollution) the thaw is most noticeable. This time last year Lapwings were on eggs whereas now they are struggling to find food. Twite and Cranes were again a noticeable feature today with migration probably peaking now and Snow Buntings are also still on the move.
I visited a site where Three-toed Woodpeckers were seen yesterday and had great views of a drumming female – this species is always a struggle to find but maybe I now have a breeding site.

I also had my first butterflies with Small Tortoiseshell (neslesommerfugl) and Camberwell Beauty (sørgekåpe) on the wing.

female Three-toed Woodpecker (tretåspett)






Lapwing (vipe)

Rough-legged Buzzard (fjellvåk)


Snow Buntings (snøspurv)

No comments:

Post a Comment