Sunday 5 October 2014

Squeezing it in

Last week was autumn half term so birding took a back seat. Yesterday morning though I stole an hour at Presterødkilen in Tønsberg and this morning I snuck out to Fornebu whilst the rest of the family slept.

Presterødkilen was grey and damp but I did have 4 Black-tailed Godwits (svarthalespove) which were my first and most likely only of the year. Also here good numbers of ducks with 180 Wigeon (brunnakke).

Fornebu was however pretty quiet. A handful of Chiffchaffs (gransanger) were still in the bushes but were the only warblers I could find. Fewer waders too with just 5 Lapwing (vipe) and 2 Dunlin (myrsnipe). No Bearded Tits (skjeggmeis) yet although I have high hopes that we will again be graced with their presence later in the autumn. A single Slavonian Grebe (horndykker) and Water Rail (vannrikse) were perhaps the scarcest birds of the day.

Black-tailed Godwit (svarthalespove) in the gloom
Presterødkilen at low tide with mud flats and reedbeds
this buck Roe Deer at Fornebu is very confiding but always has a very sad look about himself


No comments:

Post a Comment