Tuesday 1 November 2011

Two-barred Crossbill

Today I decided that there was no point in waiting for a Two-barred Crossbill to come to me so I went to it. An hours drive from the house and I was by Tyrifjorden, one of Norways most renowned birding areas but an area that has received virtually zero attention from me. Upto 6 Two-barred Crossbills have been reported from here for over 5 weeks, seemingly from a very confined area, although seem to have attracted no interest other than from the initial observer.
On the drive along the fjord I noted a few waterbirds in the shallow bays: Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Wigeon, Mallard, Tufted Duck and Coot although in only small numbers.
Coming to the area where I expected to see the 2BC there was an obvious line of ornamental spruce trees by a farm which were laden with cones. This seemed to be a good place to look. There were very vocal Coal Tits feeding in the trees but no sign of Crossbills although I thought I had heard a crossbill like call I could not see any. Then a lady came out of the farmhouse in her dressing gown to put some rubbish in the bin (which was right by the trees) aswell as to give me a very inquisitive look. 3 Crossbills then flew from low down in the trees close to the bin and landed at the top of the furthest tree. Fantastic! 3 Two-barred Crossbills. An adult male, an adult female and one other female coloured bird (possibly a 1K). Unfortunately I only managed a poor picture of the adult female before they flew off (not far but to an innacessible area) and did not return in the next half an hour.
Female Two-barred Crossbill
Also here a Twite flew over and Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker were heard.

Back in Oslo I popped into Smestaddammen and saw the Little Grebe that has been present for over a week. This is a small lake and views were good of this local rarity although the light was so poor that I didn't manage a decent picture
Little Grebe

Also on the lake 2 Wigeon, one of which is a tame male that has been around Oslo for a few years and the other a wild female that hang around the Mute Swan family and took vegetation they displaced from the lake bottom rather than hang around with the Mallards and eat bread.


Wigeon




No comments:

Post a Comment