BIRD GUIDING AROUND OSLO

Thursday, 19 May 2016

The unexpected....

With fresh southerly winds and some precipitation in the air my first May Østfold trip of the year was going to be a big success. Four species of skua, Broad-billed Sandpiper, Dotterel and something even rarer (probably a raptor) were almost guaranteed. And you can’t blame my total lack of success on lack of effort. I sea gazed at Brentetangen from 05:24-07:34 and then from 09:55-12:05 and birded Kurefjorden in between. I guess it is the unexpected that makes birding so much fun but when there is so much unexpectedly little to see then you start questioning your sanity.

A singing Thrush Nightingale on the drive down was a good start to the day and a migrating flock of Red-throated Divers on my first sweep with the bins had me thinking there would be a lot of movement but it wasn’t to be. My totals were 78 R-t Diver, 2 B-t Diver, 118 Common Scoter, 19 Velvet Scoter, 16 Tufted Duck, 2 Gannets, 2 L-t Duck, a Guillemot and rarest of all 4 Black Guillemots.

Kurefjorden had some waders but nothing unusual and the only raptor I had all day was a Kestrel.
no pictures of birds today just a picture of the sea....

No comments:

Post a Comment