Tuesday 10 May 2016

Bluethroat

Yesterday evening I went back out to Svellet to make use of the evening sun which gives much better light. It is already light until after 10pm so at 9pm the waders were still bathed in sunlight. In the better light I was able to count a whopping 91 Ruff and also had 2 Spotted Redshank. After this I went to listen for Great Snipe. On spring migration they often “sing” and the field and marshy area by Snekkervika/Årnestangen has always looked a suitable place so I thought I would try my luck. And lucky I was – 2 birds were singing from different areas and one even allowed me to get a phonescoped picture.

Today was just as hot as yesterday (25C) but in the morning I was able to position myself at Svellet and get good views of the birds despite the unavoidable long distances. Today I had 81 Ruff, 2 Spot Reds, 450 Wood Sandpipers and “only” 70 Greenshank. Still no calidris waders but they will come soon. The Wood Sands had moved towards the northern end of Svellet. The water levels haven’t risen and I just think that the northern areas are becoming more attractive with more food available. 170 Teal were feeding busily and amongst them I picked out a pair and a single male Garganey.

Despite the heat there were no raptors making use of it to thermal, or at least not that I could see. I did have a “semi” raptor though in the form of my first Red-backed Shrike of the year, a fine male.

In Maridalen I searched for Great Snipe where I have them before but instead found a very confiding male Bluethroat, only my fourth Oslo record. The two Wrynecks were also still singing. My belief is that they are two rival males but I am far from sure.
Some very good news was that I noticed (why haven’t I seen it before?) that the farmer (good man) has saved two Lapwing nests by ploughing around them. He has sewn the field now and the two islands where the nests were easy to see today. So that means that I know of three nests and there is probably a nest on another field where I have seen a single bird a few times. 3(4) nests is comparable with the last few years so let’s keep our fingers crossed that young manage to fledge.

Great Snipe (dobbeltbekkasin) phonescoped at 22:06
male Bluethroat (blåstrupe) in Maridalen

he has a large tick by his right eye


these frogs were making a lot of noise. As tadpoles have already hatched elsewhere I assume these are Moor Frogs whereas the early breednig frogs are Common Frogs

Male Goosander (laksand) with female Goldeneye (kvinand)

male Red-backed Shrike (tornskate)

White Wagtail (linerle)

Wryneck (vendehals)




male Goldeneye from the weekend taken by Jr
Toad (nordpadde) from the weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment